Timeline: The saga of St. Mark’s Anglican Church

St. Mark's Anglican

St. Mark’s Anglican

1878

Church opens at corner of Bay and Hunter streets

1925

Congregation erects Sunday school, bell tower on site

1967

Church begins to struggle financially after years of declining membership

1968

St. Mark’s staves off closure order from Anglican diocese

1978

Church warned it must increase numbers or face closure

1979

Fire damages church tower, leaving St. Mark’s in need of mass repairs

1989

Church closed and disestablished

1990

Ontario Municipal Board backs proposal to build Diocesan offices, residential tower on site, plan stalls in wake of objections from residents, heritage enthusiasts

1994

City purchases church for $425,000

1995

City designates church heritage, with facade, windows, doors, Sunday school, bell tower and green space listed as significant features

1996

Condition study finds church could be repaired and made ready for public use for $315,000, council pans recommendation

1999

City puts out request for proposals and accepts offer, deal falls through

2007

Council votes to sell church, puts out second request for proposals

2008

Economic development and planning committee recommends rescinding motion to sell

2011

City begins work to stabilize deteriorating church property

2013

City staff propose renovating church for community use and cultural programming

2014

General issues committee requests financial and operating plan, as well as information on possibility of a private sector sale

2014

Residents vote to spend $100,000 of ward slush funds on repairs to church roof

Source: City of Hamilton, McMaster University history practicum students